Plum Organics Tots Performance Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
We are always on the lookout for on-the-go healthy snacks for our toddler. I want foods she can eat independently, that provide nutrition without having a big mess on my hands. When Plum Organics said they wanted my daughter and I to try their new line of organic toddler snacks, Plum Organics Tots; I could hardly refuse.
Products we Tried:
Mish Mash (Banana and Peach Flavors)
One of my biggest concerns about this product was how the fruit purees were being preserved if they are on the shelves at the
Plum Organics explained that the preservation comes from the natural acidity of the fruit puree and the foil packaging which keeps out light, air and moisture.
I like the way both flavors taste and think this is a wonderful alternative to the gummy fruit snacks which can get stuck in your toddler’s teeth.
In my opinion this is a more satisfying source of energy and nutrition in between larger meals. You can let your toddler squeeze the puree into his mouth or serve it with a bowl and spoon. Mish Mash can also be mixed with plain or vanilla organic yogurt.
Fiddlesticks (Apple Carrot)
These baked snack sticks are convenient and mighty tasty. They are the favorite with me and my daughter.
They almost taste like graham crackers but without all of the added sugar. Fiddlesticks are made from real fruits and vegetables and did I say yummy to the tummy?
They are easy for my daughter to grab, hold and chew and are mess free. They are also gluten free. However, parents dealing with serious allergies should know they are produced on equipment that also processes soy, wheat, peanuts and treenuts.
Fruity Fingerfuls (Strawberries)
These freeze-dried fruit and grain snacks are good and the least sweet of the three.
My daughter likes to look at the heart shapes enjoys their vibrant color. She likes to eat them too. Fruity Fingerfuls also come in
two other flavors; Bananas and Apples.
Features to Love:
- All toddler snacks come in BPA-free packaging, which keep light, air and moisture from
- Variety, each of the three snacks comes in three different flavors.
- Convenience, convenience, convenience. No need for packing extra sandwich bags, snack holders and utensils (unless you prefer to serve the Mish Mash this way).
- The products are low in sugar and carbohydrates; 2g in Fiddlesticks and Fingerfuls and 10g in the purees. Sugar comes from natural sources such as fruit the fruit itself and evaporated cane juice.
- All ingredients are natural and edible. No strange preservatives and additives appear on the list.
Room For Improvement:
- The Mish Mash is of a flow-able consistency. Which means if you are struggling with your toddler to determine who holds the pouch to see what comes out, you could have a mess on your hands. So bring napkins and a bib – just in case.
- The snacks are low in fiber and protein (1 to 2 grams per serving).
- Vitamin content is low also; with the exception being the Mish Mash. One serving contains 50% of the USDA daily recommendation of Vitamin C.
The Bottom Line:
Plum Organics Tots fill a void in the organic snack marketplace. They provide a variety of tasty, filling, low sugar, snack options made from certified organic ingredients.
I recommend trying all three products and figuring out which kind your baby likes. After that put some in your pantry, in your diaper bag and even your car.
Now, I’m not saying abandon your fresh apples, organic yogurt and whole grain crackers, etc. Plum Organics Tots are a nice complement to your toddler’s snack regimen and most convenient for trips away from home.
The snacks can be eaten independently and kept fresh for long periods without refrigeration. Here’s to longer, happier outings for you and your toddler!